UAL Staff Benefits
Find out more about staff benefits
Generous annual leave
Employees at UAL enjoy a generous annual leave allowance, from a minimum of 31 days to 34 days dependent on grade and 39 days per annum for academic staff (pro rata for part-time staff), in addition to the statutory bank holidays.
Defined benefit pension schemes
All employees with a contract longer than 12 weeks can join one of the 3 benefit pension schemes at UAL. These offer competitive rates and some offer life cover payouts.
UAL offers a number of policies to support employees in having a health work-life balance, including flexible working arrangements such as part time working or compressed hours and special leave.
All staff can access the statutory requirements for maternity and adoption leave, but UAL offers enhanced rates for staff who have been with us for over a year. Additionally, the paternity package offered is more generous than the statutory requirement. UAL supports a shared parental leave scheme, and staff can take unpaid leave of up to 18 weeks as part of our parental leave policy.
Childcare Voucher Scheme
The Childcare Voucher Scheme can help staff save more than £1,000 a year on childcare costs. The scheme, run by Computershare Voucher Services, can help you save money regardless of your tax bracket. You simply exchange some of your monthly salary for the same amount in childcare vouchers. You save money because the value of the voucher is tax-free and exempt from National Insurance charges. What's more, both working parents can request childcare vouchers.
Even though you may be off work during the school holidays, you may still want or need childcare during this time. You can use vouchers to pay for before and after school clubs, as well as nannies, childminders, nurseries, au pairs, holiday schemes, summer camps and more.
Interest-free season ticket loan
Interest-free loans are available to help staff buy an annual season ticket for their journey to and from work. This includes rail, London Underground, bus or other season tickets with a recognised transport operator.
Employees are also eligible to apply for a computer loan on successful completion of their probationary period.
- Quiet spaces. Each UAL site is equipped with a minimum of 1 quiet space that staff can use for prayer, health reasons or personal reflection.
- Corporate discounts at a number of gyms and fitness centres across London are available to all UAL employees, including, Better Health and Fitness, Gymbox and FRAME.
- Free eye test, discounts on glasses, and a free pair of single vision glasses are offered for all staff with Specsavers.
- Discounts on private healthcare insurance with Bupa Eduhealth Scheme or Universities and Colleges Personal Healthcare Scheme.
- Cycle to Work scheme means you don’t pay tax on the cost of your bike and pay it in instalments out of your monthly pay cheque.
- A supportive sick pay scheme for those times when you’re ill and a specialist occupational health service.
- Confidential Care is a counselling and advisory service available to all employees at UAL. It can be accessed online or over the phone and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, covering any issue that may be affecting you.
UAL aims to do everything it can to support your professional development and offers a range of courses and benefits to nurture this.
- Staff development courses: UAL offers internally run courses covering work-related skills.
- Staff development festivals and conferences.
- Opportunity for part-funded further study.
- Academic Career Pathways to guide academic staff in developing their careers (skills?) in research, knowledge exchange or teaching.
- Exceed workshops: The exceed programme runs workshops and creative activities to connect staff to what goes on in different areas at UAL.
- Funding for external events such as relevant conferences, courses or research events.
- Communities of Practice: These are groups within the university that allow staff to network, disseminate knowledge and share good practice. They can focus on a discipline, subject area, job role or even just a shared interest. New staff can join an existing group or request funding to start a new one.
Free places on UAL Short Courses
UAL offers a very extensive range of short courses at each College, which UAL staff can attend for free, or heavily subsidised, subject to availability. Find out more about our range of short courses.
“Excellent introduction to the world of ceramics. Amy is a thoughtful lecturer who gently encourages you to explore your creativity whilst ensuring you have the knowledge and skill base to have a comprehensive collection at the end of the course – it’s a lot of fun too!”
- Martin Foard, a Finance Administrator, discussing his place on the Ceramics Open Studio course.
A rewarding environment
UAL promotes a culture in which hard work and commitment of staff is rewarded in a variety of ways from opportunities for pay progression to our loyalty scheme for long-serving staff.